I have been on a journey of self-discovery and growth and I sort of stumbled upon Black privilege by Charlamagne Tha God when I was watching a YouTuber called Life Coach Shawn. The way she talked about this book and the title made me want to get my hands on it. I was not disappointed at all although the language in the book made my head swoon a little bit, lol.
Charlamagne is a radio DJ who hosts the show breakfast club that was famous for the time Bird Man went on and started saying “you better put some respeck on my name” lol. People are so petty they even made a song about it and everything, see the Hamiltons version here. I didn’t even know he was the guy who was doing the interview until I actually searched on YouTube what the breakfast club was. Anyway, Charlamagne has experienced ups and downs on his way to achieving success, in a sense he has lived and so his advice in the book is birthed from real life experience and sort of gives you a glimpse of what it takes to change from loser to success. Below are some of the quotes in the book that I thought was especially motivating.
THE SEVEN QUOTES
“People don’t realize how a man’s whole life can be changed by one book”
2. “It ain’t where you’re from physically, but where you are at mentally that allows someone to transcend their circumstances”
3. “When the roots are deep there is no reason to fear the wind”
4. “There are three “P’s” to choose from in life: (1) Passion, which leads to prosperity. (2) Poison which leads to pain. (3) Procrastination, which doesn’t lead anywhere at all, because you sit around waiting for things to just magically happen.”
5. “When someone offers to help you tell them exactly what you want. Don’t beat around the bush. If you are not crystal clear about what your ask is, chances are you won’t get anything.”
6. “In life, there are no losses (even the ones that give you anxiety attacks), only lessons. That’s because you live and you learn.”
7. “For years”
I hope these quotes inspire you as they have done me. If you would like to hear more thoughts on the book, check out our video below.